Electricity is an important part of our life. However, when it comes to electricity distribution, it needs to be done in a safe and secure manner. It entails several handling hazards, which, when not done safely, can easily turn into a deadly trap. There are times when accidents and mishaps happen due to the lack of safety at different power distribution units.
Therefore, to maintain the security levels at all distribution units and substations, it is critical to install safety devices and mechanisms. While there are many mechanisms that help in safeguarding electrical connections at residential and industrial areas, switchgear is one of the most popular ones due to its various functions and features.
Analyzing switchgears from the perspective of commercial, industrial, and institutional MV (medium voltage) distribution system, its functions are as follows:
- Switchgears provide sufficient segmentation of the MV system to reduce the extent of circuit outages during electrical work on cables and power stations.
- This device helps in the distribution and carriage of load and overloads during maintenance and service of different electrical connectors.
- It helps in clearing and identifying different types of faults and connection failures, helping minimize the damage.
Types of Switchgears
There are two main types of switchgear which are necessary for various commercial, residential, and industrial electrical connections. They are
- Metal-Enclosed Switchgear: This is an earthed metallic enclosure, made of supreme quality sheet steel that houses different types of circuit breakers. This equipment is usually placed indoors and is used for medium and low voltage applications. As these switchgears are used indoors, they need to be grounded in a proper manner.
- Metal Clad Switchgear: This type of switchgear is generally placed outside the house in residential and industrial electrical connections. Being weatherproof in nature, they help protect different types of protective relays, circuit breakers, current and potential transformers, meters, and bus conductors.
Features of Metal Clad and Metal Enclosed Switchgear
There are various features of these switchgears that make them different from each other. Some of them are:
Applications of Switchgears
Apart from knowing the different features of these two switchgears, it is important to know where these switchgears are generally used.
Some of the application areas of these switchgears are as follows:
- Industrial power distribution: Both these devices are used in different plants and factories where special attention needs to be given to surge and overload protection. These switchgears help in a better and organized distribution of power to the machines in an industrial unit.
- Solar power generation: These devices also find application in various types of PV installations. As voltage and surge regulation is mandatory in every solar power installation, these switchgears regulate the passage of electric current from the main unit to the subunit.
- Residential power distribution: These switchgears are also installed in different residential societies and complexes. Generally, at these places there is a combination of several metal clad and metal enclosed switchgears. This combination helps in controlling the load and voltage in the area, along with facilitating fault regulation.
- Power stations: Main and sub power distribution units require these switchgears to protect various types of electrical connections. Power generation and distribution involves the use of various types of circuit breakers and surge protectors, which are generally enclosed in these switchgears.
Although both these switchgears are completely different in terms of their features and nature, their common objective is to control and regulate different medium voltage applications.
D&F Liquidators has been serving the electrical construction materials needs for more than 30 years. It is an international clearinghouse, with 180,000 square facility located in Hayward, California. It keeps an extensive inventory of electrical connectors, conduit fitting, circuit breakers, junction boxes, wire cable, safety switches etc. It procures its electrical materials supplies from top-notch companies across the globe. The Company also keeps an extensive inventory of electrical explosion proof products and modern electrical lighting solutions. As it buys materials in bulk, D&F is in a unique position to offer a competitive pricing structure. Besides, it is able to meet the most discerning demands and ship material on the same day.