Electrical problems can be scary. They don’t just damage the appliances but also pose a risk to life and property. Issues like high electricity bills, flickering lights, etc., indicate an electrical problem. Let’s look at 5 common electrical problems and solutions.
1. Poor Circuit Protection
- No RCCB – Residual Current Circuit Breaker (RCCB) is a device that detects and prevents low voltage circuit if there is a current leak. It disconnects the load from the main supply when the circuit has residual current. Get an RCCB installed as it gives protection against direct and indirect currents, shock and electrical fire.
- Constant Tripping of Circuit Breaker – If the circuit breaker constantly trips, it means there are some issues in the circuit and flow of current. When the circuit breaker trips, just flip the switch on. If the problem persists, you need to call an electrician.
- Uncovered Junction Box – Junction boxes separate one section of wires from another and protect them from external factors. If the box is uncovered, it will be hard to locate which set of wires have problems. Get the junction box covered by a professional.
2. Grounding Issues
- No GFCI Installed – GFCI breaks the circuit if there is an imbalance between incoming and outgoing current. Without GFCI, there is a risk of overheating of electrical wires, shocks, burns, or an electrical fire. Get GFCI installed if you don’t have one already.
- Ungrounded Connections – These are connections that do not have a grounding system as an added failsafe. Grounding provides a pathway for the excessive current to flow in case of a short circuit. Make sure all the connections are grounded.
3. Lighting Problems
- Light Bulbs Burn Out Too Frequently – If your light bulbs go out too often, it could indicate electrical problems. Bulbs can burn out if:
- Wattage is too high,
- High voltage,
- Improper air circulation,
- The bulb is fixed too tightly,
- Bad wiring on mains or circuit
If you face this problem often, check if the holder is loose. Bring in a professional to determine the root cause of the problem.
- Flickering Lights and Too Bright or Dim Lighting – If you notice the lights flickering or if one is brighter or dimmer than the others, there could be two reasons for that. They either consume different wattage of power or the main power panel has technical problems.
If the bulbs are of different wattage, there would be no issue, but if there is a problem in the power panel you need to call a professional.
4. Electrical Shocks
You may experience electrical shocks when you turn an appliance on or off. Even if the shocks are mild, it is an indication that the appliance has an electrical problem or there are issues with the wiring.
You can plug in another device and see if you face the same problem. If the results are reproducible, call in an electrician to fix the problem before anyone gets hurt.
5. High Electricity Bills
Some reasons why you may get a high electricity bill are:
- Damaged wiring and circuit
- Leakage in electrical systems
- Electrical devices are outdated and consume more power
You can reduce the cost of electricity bills by switching to more cost-effective devices and unplugging appliances when they are not in use. Repair damaged wires and identify electrical devices that may be causing power surges.
If you detect any sign of an electrical problem, you must call a professional and get an electrical inspection. Do not ignore the problem hoping it would go away. Doing so will put you and your family at risk. Call us at D&F Liquidators to get an inspection done at the earliest.
D&F Liquidators’ has been serving the electrical construction materials needs for more than 30 years. It is an international clearing house, with 180,000 square facility located in Hayward, California. It keeps an extensive inventory of electrical connectors, conduit fitting, circuit breakers, junction boxes, wire cable, safety switches etc. It procures its electrical materials supplies from top notch companies across the globe. The Company also keeps an extensive inventory of electrical explosion proof products and modern electrical lighting solutions. As it buys materials in bulk, D&F is in a unique position to offer competitive pricing structure. Besides, it is able to meet the most discerning demands and ship material on the same day.